Wolf Point Herald

Roundup Defeats Wolf Point At Homecoming Football Game


Loyal Wolf Point fans filled the bleachers and parking lot at Lowry Field as the varsity football welcomed the Roundup Panthers for the annual homecoming game, Sept. 27.


After four quarters of action, the Panthers defeated the Wolves, 18-15.


The Wolves’ defense was able to keep the Panthers from scoring in the first quarter. Early in the second quarter, the Panthers made a successful trip to the end zone with no successful extra point.


Just as the Wolves were ready to make a drive toward the end zone, the Panthers made an interception. After gaining some yards due to a penalty, Roundup running back Hunter Saltzman ran in for a touchdown, bringing the score 12-0.


Wolf Point’s defense had some impressive moments during the latter part of the first half. Defensive lineman Paul Nygaard had back-to-back tackles.


In the final minute of the second quarter, running back Owen Lepper had an impressive run for the first down. Roundup’s Dalton Slathe made an interception in the final seconds of the first half.


In the third quarter, Saltzman made a second touchdown in what would be the final scoring drive for the Panthers.


The Wolves began their own successful scoring drive with quarterback Tucker Toavs gaining a first down. He threw a pass to running back Josh Berger for a short reception. Berger would follow it up with run for another first down for Wolf Point. Toavs would finish the drive with a run up the middle and into the end zone for a touchdown for the Wolves. After a successful extra point, the Wolves brought the score 18-7.


Roundup’s next possession would not last long as tackles by Nygaard and Cam Quincy would lead to the Wolves getting the ball back. Toavs quickly scored another touchdown, followed by a two-point conversion. At the end of the third quarter, the Panthers still led the game, 18-15.


As the hometown crowd’s cheers grew louder, the Wolves attempted to make one more trip to the end zone. Junior receiver Trevor Hamilton caught a reception, which was followed by a run by Lepper for a first-down. The Panthers would get back the ball after a turnover on downs.


With five minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Wolves recovered the ball after a fumble. Before they could score one final touchdown, the Panthers intercepted the ball. They decided to take a knee to run out the clock.


There had been confusion after the third down as the Panthers began walking off the field before the time had run out. The Panthers center tossed the ball, which caused the coaches to scream “fumble.” Berger recovered the ball and ran into the end zone; however the referees said the ball had been declared “dead” after it had hit the ground, which nullified the touchdown.


The referees put time back three seconds on the clock. The Panthers took another knee to run out the time


As the Wolves shook hands with their opponents and took a knee on the field, the crowd chanted “We are proud of you.”


In other football action the junior high football team was defeated by the Glasgow Scotties, 8-6. The junior varsity team was also defeated by Glasgow’s junior varsity team, 14-2.


The varsity will next play the Harlem Wildcats, Oct. 4, at Lowry Field, at 7 p.m.