Wolf Point Herald

Virginia Gundermann

Virginia Gundermann, 89, died July 26, 2013, in Wolf Point.

She was born Nov. 24, 1923, in Carbert to Eugene and Jeanne Thievin. The eldest of five children, she was raised in the Peerless area and attended schools there. 

After high school, she married Douglas Gilchrist on Aug. 31, 1940, in Sco-bey. Together, they had nine children and resided in Peerless. They were married 25 years before his death May 22, 1966. They had an infant son precede them in death, James Robert.

She married Albert Gundermann on June 14, 1969, in Peerless. They moved to the farm outside Glentana on Heckner Road and finished raising the family. They owned and operated the Silver Dollar Bar and Café in Richland for 15 years. Albert died June 8, 2013.

She loved to garden, farm and many a family member and friend enjoyed her cooking and benefitted from her caregiving. She was happiest when fulfilling her role as mother, grandmother, sister and wife. She dedicated her life to looking after and caring for others.  Her door was always open to others, where all felt accepted and nurtured. Her unconditional love and support was apparent to all. She had a strong faith in the Lord and was a devout member of the Holy Family Parish.

She was preceded in death by a brother, Alfred Thievin; a sister, Genevieve Thievin; both of her husbands; and one son.

She is survived by her brothers, Phillip Thieven and Eugene Thievin Jr., both of Scobey; sister, Vivian Floyd of Opheim; children, Winnie Baldry of Wolf Point, Marilyn Myhre of Billings, Dennis Gilchrist of Belgrade, Minn., Cheryl Saarinen of Dillworth, Minn., Billie Spriggle of Louisa, Va., Mark Gilchrist of Glentana, Tim Gilchrist of Helena, Mary Gilchrist of Helena; 20 grandchildren; 33 great-grandchildren; and one great-great grandchild.

A rosary will be held at 9:30 a.m. with Mass to follow at 11 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 1, at the Holy Family Catholic Church in Glentana. Interment will follow at the Glentana Cemetery in Glentana. Clayton Stevenson Memorial Chapel of Wolf Point was entrusted with the arrangements.