Written by John Plestina
A dozing driver caused a rear end crash just east of Wolf Point Monday, March 9, that sent two men to the hospital, according to the Montana Highway Patrol.
MHP Trooper Ross Tuggle said a 2009 GMC crew cab diesel pickup that was westbound on U.S. Hwy. 2 rear ended a 2013 Ford F150 east of Slaughterhouse Road.
“The Ford slowed down. There’s some construction going on. They have a 35 mph construction zone. The Ford slowed down for it. The GMC driver stated he might have fallen asleep. He didn’t slow down,” Tuggle said.
He said the driver of the GMC was not injured but was not wearing a seat belt. The driver hit the air bag.
The two men in the Ford were injured and transported by ambulance to Northeast Montana Health Services - Wolf Point Campus with non-life-threatening injuries, according to the MHP.
Tuggle identified those men as James Iron Bear, 23, of Poplar, the driver, and Brandon Bigleggins, 31, of Wolf Point.
The driver of the GMC was identified as Robert Meiers, 21, of Glasgow. According to MHP, he was cited for careless driving and a seatbelt violation.
Written by Herald-News
Three oil tanks exploded at a well site in the Bakken oil patch Sunday, March 8, resulting in a large fire and rocking the nearby town of Killdeer, N.D., and an area as much as five miles away.
The blast occurred about 9 a.m., at an oil well site about five miles north of Killdeer, which is 187 miles southeast of Wolf Point and 119 miles from Bainville.
It was reported that the tops of three oil tanks were blown off and a nearby farmer was knocked to the ground by the explosion.
The cause of the explosion had not been determined as of early this week.
Written by John Plestina
The Roosevelt County DUI Task Force was told Wednesday, March 4, that pending legislation could result in more than $10,000 in annual funding for the task force.
County commissioner Gary Macdonald, who chairs the task force, said House Bill 132 passed without opposition in the state House of Representatives and has been referred to the Senate Transportation Committee.
HB 132 would financially benefit county drinking and driving prevention programs statewide by allowing reallocation of unspent special revenue funds to Roosevelt County and 35 other counties that have DUI task forces or other county drinking and driving prevention programs, by allowing for the county portion of driver’s license reinstatement fees collected in counties that do not have task forces to be distributed on an equal basis to the 36 counties that have task forces on July 1 of each year.
The legislation would take effect July 1, if the Senate approves it and Gov. Steve Bullock signs it into law.
Twenty of Montana’s 56 counties do not have county drinking and driving prevention programs. Macdonald said at least two of the 20 counties are currently attempting to start task forces.
The bill was introduced for the current legislative session at the request of the Montana Department of Transportation.
“We don’t know how much that dollar amount will be, but it will be $10,000 or more [for Roosevelt County],” Macdonald said. “We can look forward to that.”
He said there is a possibility that the increased revenue could fund monitoring for non-tribal DUI offenders through the Fort Peck Tribal Court DUI Court program.
The Roosevelt County task force received $900 in funding for driver’s license reinstatement fees from the last quarter of 2014. That amount would have been far greater if HB 132 had been passed and signed into law.
The DUI Task Force will participate in the 2015 Alcohol Education Summit in Bozeman during May.
There was also a discussion about the Montana Department of Revenue Disorderly Licensed Premises form that became available online to the public in August. Anyone who has patronized an establishment and has witnessed a bartender or server continuing to serve an obviously intoxicated individual, where there is a fight and employees of the establishment do not call law enforcement, minors being served or violations of any other alcohol or drug law can download, fill out and submit the form that is available at http://revenue.mt.gov/Portals/9/liquor/education.CitizenConcernForm.pdf.
Written by Herald-News
Four members of a Brockton family were sentenced to federal prison terms Thursday, March 5, for their role in the embezzlement of over $130,000 from the Brockton town government, the latest development in the ongoing probe into public corruption involving federally funded programs known as the Guardians Project.
The United States Attorney’s Office announced that U.S. District Judge Brian M. Morris sentenced Desiree Lambert, 59, Bernard Lambert, 66, Kaycee Lambert, 35, and Kayla Lambert, 30, to prison.
A federal grand jury indicted the Lambert family in August for wire fraud, public corruption and aggravated identity theft.
During a hearing for plea changes, Assistant U.S. Attorney Ryan G. Weldon outlined the embezzlement scheme spearheaded by Desiree Lambert, then the business manager for the town, where she handled municipal finances, books and records. Beginning in December 2012, she began writing illegitimate checks to herself, her husband [Bernard Lambert], and her daughters [Kaycee and Kayla Lambert] and forging the signature of the mayor of Brockton.
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the embezzlement scheme netted the Lamberts $132,563 over a period of about 1½ years. When interviewed, the Lamberts admitted to spending the money on gambling and household items.
Weldon requested stiffer prison sentences for Bernard and Desiree Lambert due to their previous criminal history. In 2006, the pair embezzled $12,000 from the Department of Education while Bernard Lambert was the superintendent of the Brockton School District and Desiree Lambert was the director of the Fort Peck Department of Education. She authorized four payments to her husband for writing 10 grant applications on behalf of the Fort Peck Department of Education. The alleged grant applications were for grants from various corporations and a 21st Century Grant from the U.S. Department of Education.
Investigation revealed, through contact with the various corporations and the DOE, that none of the grant applications that Bernard Lambert was paid to write were ever received or funded. As a result of their past fraud, Bernard and Desiree Lambert each served a year in federal prison.
After the pair was released from federal supervision in 2011, Desiree Lambert was hired to handle the finances of the Brockton town government.
Weldon told the court, “this time the Lamberts regrouped and increased their criminal efforts with more vigor. As a result, they embezzled $132,563.95, many times more than that of the first conviction. Worse yet, they used their children to move money and feed their gambling addictions.”
Morris sentenced Desiree Lambert to 44 months of prison and Bernard Lambert received 20 months of prison. Desiree Lambert received an increase in her sentence, in part, because she abused and used her position with the town of Brockton in order to embezzle public funds. Morris also ordered both to serve three years of supervised release and to repay $132,563.95 in restitution.
Kayla Lambert and Kaycee Lambert facilitated the embezzlement and public corruption scheme by cashing fraudulent checks on behalf of their parents.
Morris sentenced Kayla Lambert to five months in federal prison, followed by two years of supervised release. Of the two years on supervised release, she must spend five months in home confinement.
Kaycee Lambert was sentenced to one more month in federal prison than her sister. As a result, she received a federal prison sentence of six months, which will be followed by two years of supervised release. Of the two years on supervised release, Kaycee Lambert must spend six months in home confinement.
Kayla Lambert was ordered to pay $93,656 in restitution and Kaycee Lambert was ordered to pay $39,774 in restitution.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Justice investigated the case.
Written by Herald-News
(Editor’s Note: The Roosevelt County Sheriff’s Office distributes an inmate roster each week with charges and communities of residence.)
As of Monday, March 9, 12 inmates were housed in the Roosevelt County Jail. Fort Benton Detention Center was holding one male to alleviate overcrowding.
The RCSO reported that the following individuals were incarcerated at the jail between Monday, March 2, and Monday, March 9:
•Patrick J. Beauchamp, 35, Wolf Point, hold on U.S. Marshal’s warrant;
•Daniel Amos Bridges, 38, Wolf Point, criminal possession of dangerous drugs; criminal possession of drug paraphernalia and resisting arrest;
•Joel Campos, 37, Las Cruces, N.M., felony possession of dangerous drugs;
•Dale A. Cooper, 38, Wolf Point, arrested on Roosevelt County warrant;
•Kyle Fuchs, 32, Cul-
bertson, disorderly conduct, partner/family member assault, assault with weapon, unlawful restraint, criminal endangerment;
•Christopher Hovey, 25, Lansing, Mich., felony criminal possession of dangerous drugs;
•Jason Knight, 37; Spokane, Wash., criminal possession of dangerous drugs, possession of drug paraphernalia;
•Darryl Lewis, 45, San Bernadino, Calif., criminal contempt warrant;
•Robert Lindquist, 41, Chattoroy, Wash., criminal possession of dangerous drugs, criminal possession of drug paraphernalia and driving under the influence;
•Paul Merica, 24, Salt Lake City, Utah, criminal possession of dangerous drugs and criminal possession of drug paraphernalia, bonded out;
•Timothy Oglesby, 31, Wolf Point, sexual intercourse without consent and incest, awaiting sentencing;
•Samantha Starkey, 25, Wolf Point, partner/family member assault, released;
•Brian Suggs, 33, Mesa, Ariz., driving under the influence, criminal endangerment, failure to carry proof of insurance, driving a motor vehicle while the privilege to do so is revoked and fail to stop immediately at property damage accident.