Wolf Point Herald

Fire Damages Gospel Fellowship Church

11.20.14.CHURCH-FIRE 8611-WEB11.20.14.CHURCH-FIRE 8616-WEB11.20.14.CHURCH-FIRE 8600-WEB11.20.14.CHURCH-FIRE 8607-WEB

The Wolf Point Volunteer Fire Department responded to the Gospel Fellowship Church on the corner of Hill Street and Second Avenue North Tuesday morning, Nov. 18, to battle a blaze of unknown origins in frigid temperatures. The fire marshal will be investigating.  (Photos by John Plestina)

A fire burned through part of the interior of Gospel Fellowship Church on the corner of Hill Street and Second Avenue North in Wolf Point Tuesday, Nov. 18, severely damaging the building.
The Wolf Point Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched following a 911 call at 8:09 a.m. Firefighters had the fire under control by 11 a.m.
Several hours later, fire chief Shawn Eggar said he could not discuss possible causes of the fire because it remained under investigation. He said investigators from the Montana State Fire Marshal’s Office in Miles City would be on the scene Wednesday, Nov. 19.
Eggar said parts of the building were damaged by the fire and there was major smoke and water damage throughout the entire structure. He said part of the church might be rebuildable.
No one was in the church when the fire started and no injuries were reported.
Eight WPVFD firefighters with two trucks and the command vehicle responded to the fire. The Valley County Long Run Fire Department responded with four firefighters. The Wolf Point Police Department, Roose-velt County Sheriff’s Office and Fort Peck Tribes Department of Law and Justice assisted at the scene. A Northeast Montana Health Services ambulance stood by.
Church trustees had not made any decisions by Tuesday afternoon about where they would hold Sunday services.
“I have no idea. We’re still trying to figure out what the damage to the church is. I have no idea what we are going to do for Sunday services,” Brian Miller, a church trustee, said early Tuesday afternoon.
Several attempts to contact Pastor Bruce Bogar Tuesday afternoon were unsuccessful.

Hits: 496

They’re Heeeere! Fort Peck Tribes Receive 139 Yellowstone Bison

11.20.14.BISON 8480-WEB11.20.14.BISON 8494-WEB

The Fort Peck Tribes welcomed 139 genetically pure bison from Yellowstone National Park Nov. 13.  (Photos by John Plestina)

It was history in the making and a crowd braved freezing temperatures as the first two semis loaded with about 100 of 139 wild bison arrived at the Fort Peck Tribes 13,000-acre Cultural Range Unit, 29 miles northeast of Wolf Point, Thursday, Nov. 13.
One of the semis broke down and about 40 buffalo were delivered to the tribes the next day.
The three semis with cattle trailers that were contracted from a Nebraska livestock hauler left CNN founder Ted Turner’s Flying D Ranch near Bozeman the day before for the nine-hour ride to the Fort Peck Reservation. The bison that came from the 4,900-strong Yellowstone National Park herd had been held in quarantine for about eight years on Turner’s ranch. The Yellowstone herd is the largest in the nation.
The 139 bison are being held 10 days in a 140-acre pen and will then be released onto a 13,000-acre pasture northwest of Poplar where they will join 63 Yellowstone buffalo that were transferred to the reservation in 2012, creating the largest conservation herd in Montana outside Yellowstone National Park.
The goal of the quarantine was to create a herd that is genetically pure [no cattle genes] and free of brucellosis, a bacterial cattle disease.
Previous attempts to relocate the bison from Turner’s ranch were unsuccessful partly due to opposition from livestock interests sparked by concerns about brucellosis.
The now nearly 200 bison on the reservation are certified as free of brucellosis.
“I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. I’ve been waiting for the Yellowstone bison for a long time,” Laurel veterinarian Don Woerner said.
“I’ve been following this whole quarantine thing. They proved it would work,” he said.
“They have not found any cattle genes,” Woerner said.
National Wildlife Federation Tribal Lands Program Manager Alexis Bonogofsky has worked in partnership with the Fort Peck Tribes and other Western tribes addressing wildlife, energy and cultural issues for more than a decade. The Billings woman was at the Cultural Range Unit when the bison arrived.
“The goal is to continue with these relocations to various tribes,” Bonogofsky said.
The herd on the reservation will help tribal members regain a connection to their history. Bison play a key role in some ceremonies and were welcomed with song and prayers.
Yellowstone bison are descendants of the massive wild herds that roamed the West during the 1800s and totaled up to 30 million. Over hunting and a lack of management reduced the population to about 1,000 by the end of the nineteenth century.
State Wildlife Commission recently announced a decision to implement the recent approval by the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks to relocate 140 bison to the reservation. One bull was euthanized prior to the trip because it had killed other bulls.
Following the completion of environmental analysis and review of public comments, a decision by the FWP found no significant issues associated with relocating bison to the tribal location, or to three out-of-state locations that were also under consideration.
The finding essentially followed the Fish and Wildlife Commission’s October approval to keep the bison within state borders if a finding of no significance was determined.
In March, state wildlife officials requested proposals from agencies or organizations capable of permanently caring for the bison for conservation purposes. The bison have been held at the Green Ranch, west of Bozeman, during their five-year monitoring period.
Brucellosis, initially introduced to North America through livestock but now also found in Yellowstone bison, has been the main reason for opposition by some individuals and groups to the relocation of Yellowstone bison, even though bison have not been implicated in a single case of transmission of brucellosis to cattle in the wild.
FWP received 10 proposals, four of which were analyzed in the environmental assessment. The examined proposals included one from the Fort Peck Tribes and others from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma and the Wildlife Conservation Society Zoo Consortium in New York and Ohio.

Hits: 104

Charges Filed Against Six In Alleged Marijuana Operation Near Southside School

A joint operation by the Fort Peck Tribes Department of Law and Justice and Roosevelt County Sheriff’s Office took down an alleged marijuana growing and distribution operation on Custer Street across from Southside Elementary School.
Felony state charges have been filed against Dustin Kinzie, 20, Dougal McMorris, 19, and Pryce  Paulson, 20, all Wolf Point males. All three were arraigned in 15th District Court Wednesday, Nov. 12.
Tribal charges were filed against three individuals.
FPTDLJ Capt. Jim Summers reported that Arlyn “A.J.” Headdress Jr. and Tyler Nygaard, both Wolf Point adult males, and Nevaeh Yellowrobe, a Wolf Point adult female, were all charged in tribal court with criminal possession with intent to sell, gun complicity with a drug crime, felony child abuse and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Assistant Roosevelt County Attorney Jordan Knudsen said Montana law allows for a separate felony charge for dealing drugs near a school. He said the investigation of the case is not completed.
Summers said Monday, Nov. 17, that it was unknown whether federal charges would be filed against anyone charged in the case. He said there is a federal enhancement for selling drugs near a school.
Kinzie pleaded not guilty to criminal production/manufacture of dangerous drugs, criminal possession of dangerous drugs with intent to distribute, criminal possession of drug paraphernalia and criminal endangerment.
McMorris pleaded not guilty to criminal possession of dangerous drugs with intent to sell, criminal production/manufacture of dangerous drugs, criminal endangerment, criminal possession of drug paraphernalia.
Paulson, who has been free on bond, pleaded not guilty to felony criminal production or manufacture of dangerous drugs.
Trial dates for all three are scheduled for Feb. 12.
According to district court charging documents, the arrests and charges stem from a tribal drug investigation that began with a 911 call from a woman reporting that her grandson was smoking marijuana. A tribal officer arrested the adult grandson, who later told tribal investigators that he had been purchasing one to three grams of marijuana per week from Kinzie for seven months. The individual also named McMorris and other people as local sources for marijuana. Investigators also found text messages on the man’s cell phone arranging purchases of marijuana.
According to charging documents, tribal and county officers entered Kinzie’s residence at 416 Custer Street with a search warrant, Tuesday, Oct. 14. The officers found five marijuana plants, grow equipment, about one half pound of marijuana packaged in one ounce baggies in a backpack belonging to McMorris, two ounces of marijuana in a black air vault belonging to Kinzie, several pipes and bongs, several digital scales, small unopened jewelers bags that are commonly used to package drugs, marijuana seeds, paraphernalia, a .25 caliber pistol, an empty box and receipt for a Mossberg pump shotgun, $783 in cash and marijuana growing equipment in boxes with shipping labels addressed to Paulson. Charging documents also allege that Paulson’s name was on some of the boxes containing equipment.
The charging documents also allege that Paulson admitted that he purchased equipment for the grow operation and that it was shipped to him during an interview with RCSO Sgt. Patrick O’Connor on Wednesday, Oct. 15. Paulson also admitted to O’Connor that he purchased marijuana seeds for the growing operation.
The charging documents also allege that Yellowrobe told investigators that Kinzie and McMorris have sold marijuana from the house and that both have used their cars to deliver marijuana.
Court documents state that Yellowrobe is Kinzie’s girlfriend and that she and her 1-year-old child were present in the house when the search warrant was executed and that there was a strong odor of marijuana present. Officers contacted BIA Social Services to respond to the child’s exposure to marijuana.
Tyler Nygaard told investigators that Kinzie and McMorris were the main sellers of the pot and that he had seen Kinzie make seven to eight sales a day and McMorris make four to five. Nygaard also told investigators that he had been in Billings with McMorris and witnessed McMorris purchase a pound of marijuana for $3,000. Nygaard also alleged to investigators that McMorris is the “main boss of the group that sells marijuana.”
Charging documents also allege that Headdress made statements to investigators corroborating assertions by Yellowrobe and Nygaard.

Hits: 211

Ducks Unlimited Banquet

11.20.14.DUCKS-BANQUET 8531-WEB11.20.14.DUCKS-BANQUET 8585-WEB11.20.14.DUCKS-BANQUET 8579-WEB11.20.14.DUCKS-BANQUET 8567-WEB11.20.14.DUCKS-BANQUET 8535-WEB11.20.14.DUCKS-BANQUET 8549-WEB

The annual Wolf Point-Poplar Ducks Unlimited banquet was held at the Elks Club Saturday, Nov. 15.   (Photos by John Plestina)

Hits: 87

Museum Fundraiser

11.20.14.MUSEUM-DINNER 0787-WEB11.20.14.MUSEUM-DINNER 0784-WEB11.20.14.MUSEUM-DINNER 0785-WEB

The Wolf Point Museum held one of its two annual fundraisers — a wine tasting, art auction and spaghetti dinner — at the Elks Club Friday, Nov. 14.

First photo:  Mentalist and magician Paul Draper (left), who headlines at the Venician in Las Vegas, Nev., and inspired The Mentalist TV series, performed during the event. Assisting him as volunteers in his act were Wolf Point residents (left to right) Duane Kurokawa, Chris Dschaak, Julie D’Ambrosio, Tori Matejovski and Halie Smith.  (Photos by John Plestina)

Hits: 29