CS Masthead

Twomey Changes Plea To Guilty In Shotgun Incident At ‘Twight’s Bottom’

Cody Daniel Twomey, 20, of Culbertson withdrew previously entered not guilty pleas and pleaded guilty to criminal endangerment in 15th District Court, Wednesday, Sept. 10.
Twomey is alleged to have threatened another male with a shotgun and nearly hitting a person with a pickup truck he was driving.
He was arraigned Wednesday, Aug. 13, on charges of aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, criminal endangerment and being under the influence of an intoxicating substance by a person under 21.
The alleged incidents occurred on June 22 at a party spot southwest of Cul-
bertson near the Missouri River that is nicknamed “Twights Bottom.”
Roosevelt County Undersheriff Sheriff John Summers reported that deputies responded to multiple 911 calls at about 3:30 a.m., reporting a male “flipping out and in possession of firearm.”
The caller reported that he had been threatening others with a shotgun, and that people at the party had taken the firearm away were restraining him.
A trial had been scheduled for Nov. 13.
A pre-sentencing investigation was ordered.

Federal Judge Sentences Brockton Man To 17 Years For Murder

A 51-year-old Brockton man who stabbed and killed a 21-year-old man on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation was sentenced to more than 17 years in federal prison, Friday, Sept. 12.
Great Falls United States District Court Judge Brian Morris sentenced David Lewis, 51, to 210 months in prison, followed by a term of five years supervised release.
Lewis previously pleaded guilty to second degree murder. In an offer of proof filed by the government, the government stated that if the case had proceeded to trial, it would have proven that Lewis stabbed the victim approximately 19 times in the back and arm following an alleged argument between them at Lewis’ house in Brockton.
The case came to law enforcement’s attention after the victim was reported missing by his family in January. During the search for the victim, Lewis pretended as if he did not know where the victim was and even pretended to help search for him. Upon further inquiry from law enforcement, Lewis eventually confessed that he had stabbed and killed the victim, and that the victim’s body was still in his home.
Because there is no parole in the federal system, Lewis will have to serve at least 85 percent of his sentence before he is released from prison.
Fort Peck Tribes Department of Law and Justice criminal investigators and the Federal Bureau of Investigation investigated the case.

Williston Man Gets Deferred Imposition Of Sentence For Bainville Burglary, Truck Theft

A Williston, N.D., man was given a three-year deferred imposition of sentence and a $500 fine on a felony charge of burglary in 15th District Court, Wednesday, Sept. 10.
Clinton Jay Carnes, 30, could have received a maximum sentence of 20 years incarceration and a maximum fine of $50,000.
According to the charging documents, Carnes entered a residence in a rural area near
Bainville and stole a pickup from the property. The incident occurred during the late night hours of July 19 and early hours of July 20, 2013.
The charging documents also accuse Carnes of calling 911 and saying that a pickup was parked at an oil well site south of Bainville.
A Roosevelt County Sheriff’s Office sergeant located the truck. A .22 caliber pistol was recovered from the truck that the owner of the pickup said was not his.
Carnes later admitted
owning the pistol and claimed it had been stolen from him.
Probation and parole officer Darrin Moser, who works in Sidney, completed the pre-sentence investigation and report, and recommended a three-year deferred sentence, less time than the five-year deferred sentence a plea agreement recommended. Moser said Carnes had been cooperative with him.
Assistant county attorney Jordan Knudsen expressed concern that Carnes had been carrying a firearm at the time of the offense. He also requested that there be no contact with the victim ordered.
“The victim and his wife still feel traumatized,” Moser said and added that the victims, who are in their 80s, still wake up at night fearing that their home is being broken into.
“When I look at things, what disturbs me is what you did and you had the pistol with you,” Judge David Cybulski said. “I have to look at the circumstances and the circumstances add up to pure stupidity.”
He then said he would accept Moser’s recommendation for a lighter sentence than the plea agreement called for.
Carnes has been free on bail.

Culbertson FFA Hosts Big Muddy District Leadership School

The Culbertson FFA chapter hosted the Big Muddy District Leadership School in Culbertson, Monday, Sept. 8.
Students were split into age groups ad learned and variety of things, ranging from the many different career development events to what the older members can be doing to lead
the younger students and better their chapter.
Many of the activities involved mingling with other students from different chapters, as well as
learning what today’s young students can do to be involved and help out with their community. A few select students were also asked to speak to the younger group about the many different trips they have been on through FFA, such as: Washington Leadership Conference, Alumni Leadership Camp, National FFA Convention and Ag Tours.
At the end of the night all students went home with new ideas and goals for the new year in FFA.

First Checks Mailed In Nearly $950 Million Cobell Class Action Payment

The first checks for the nearly $950 million Cobell Indian Trust Settlement were mailed Monday, Sept. 15.
The U.S. Department of Interior provided information to the Garden City Group of Seattle, Wash., the court-appointed administrator, last week.
The Garden City Group Inc. and Kilpatrick Townsend and Stockton, announced that the first checks were mailed Monday, Sept. 15, to the trust administration class in the Cobell Indian Trust Settlement.
“Garden City is sending checks to trust administration class members where we have a current address beginning today,” Garden City chief operating officer Jennifer Keough said.
The Cobell Settlement is the largest class action settlement against the federal government. Filed in 1996 by the late Elouise Cobell and other Native American leaders, it sought an accounting of the individual Indian trust accounts and reform of the trust system, which had been mismanaged for over a century. Once the case settled, counsel for the plaintiffs, Bill Dorris and David Smith were tasked with distributing funds to 500,000 individual Indian beneficiaries across the country. However, the records from the Department of Interior reflected decades of neglect.  
“There were insufficient or absolutely no addresses for over 315,000 class members, 22,000 individuals Interior listed as alive were deceased, over 1,200 Interior listed as deceased we found were still alive, and there were thousands of whom Interior had no record at all. But it was important that Elouise Cobell’s legacy be fulfilled and that class members receive the money to which they were entitled under the settlement. By working closely with tribes, associations, and individual Indians across the country we were able, in just over a year and a half, to fix trust records that had not been adequately addressed by the federal government for generations,” Smith said.
More information is available at www.indiantrust.com.