CS Masthead

Hendrickson Performs In Orlando For Major Hotel Chain

CS.9.18.14.ELIZ-HENDRICKSON-2-WEBCS.9.18.14.ELIZ-HENDRICKSON-1-WEB


Elizabeth Hendrickson of Culbertson performs on stage in Orlando, Fla.   (Submitted photo)


Elizabeth Hendrickson, a 2014 graduate of Culbertson High School, performed for the Wyndham Hotel Group’s annual convention at the Wyndham Grand Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort in Orlando, Fla., Tuesday, Sept. 9.
She performed an inspirational country song titled The Climb by Miley Cyrus which was followed by a standing ovation.
Hendrickson was also presented roses by Franz Hanning, CEO of Wyndham.
The Wyndham Hotel Group requested that Hendrickson perform at their event after representatives from their company had seen her performance earlier this year at the Cipriani in New York, N.Y.
She was representing the SeriousFun Children’s Network, which actor Paul Newman founded in 1988. It is a growing global community of 30 camps worldwide and programs serving children with serious medical illnesses and their families. SeriousFun has served over 440,000 children and families from more than 50 countries since its inception.
Wyndham Hotel Group is a major annual contributor to the SeriousFun Network.
Hendrickson was also the KVCK Country Showdown first place winner at Wolf Point High School, Wednesday, July 9. She advanced to the Montana Eastern State Country Showdown Finals at the Montana State Fair in Great Falls, Friday, Aug. 1, where she finished in second place.
Hendrickson, the daughter of Wayne and Penny Hendrickson of Culbertson, is currently a freshman at Minot State University in Minot, N.D., majoring in music education with a minor in theater.

Commissioners Appoint Frederick Interim Sheriff In Wake Of Crawford Resignation

HN.9.18.14.jasonfrederick-color

Jason Frederick will take office as Roosevelt County Sheriff three months before the next four-year sheriff’s term begins with his appointment as interim sheriff by a unanimous vote of the Roosevelt County Commissioners, Tuesday, Sept. 16.
Sheriff Freedom Crawford, 37, submitted a letter of resignation to the commissioners, Wednesday, Sept. 10, effective Oct. 1, more than one month prior to the fall election. Frederick will become sheriff Oct. 2.
Undersheriff John Summers will remain on the job. The undersheriff serves at the pleasure of the sheriff.
“[Frederick] has already told us he will appoint John Summers as undersheriff,” Commissioner Gary Macdonald said.
Frederick is a current deputy and former undersheriff.
Crawford, who sought a third term as sheriff, finished a distant second behind Frederick in a four-way primary race in June. The top two finishers face each other in November.
Crawford did not return a telephone call from The Herald-News.

Twomey Changes Plea To Guilty In Shotgun Incident At ‘Twight’s Bottom’

Cody Daniel Twomey, 20, of Culbertson withdrew previously entered not guilty pleas and pleaded guilty to criminal endangerment in 15th District Court, Wednesday, Sept. 10.
Twomey is alleged to have threatened another male with a shotgun and nearly hitting a person with a pickup truck he was driving.
He was arraigned Wednesday, Aug. 13, on charges of aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, criminal endangerment and being under the influence of an intoxicating substance by a person under 21.
The alleged incidents occurred on June 22 at a party spot southwest of Cul-
bertson near the Missouri River that is nicknamed “Twights Bottom.”
Roosevelt County Undersheriff Sheriff John Summers reported that deputies responded to multiple 911 calls at about 3:30 a.m., reporting a male “flipping out and in possession of firearm.”
The caller reported that he had been threatening others with a shotgun, and that people at the party had taken the firearm away were restraining him.
A trial had been scheduled for Nov. 13.
A pre-sentencing investigation was ordered.

Federal Judge Sentences Brockton Man To 17 Years For Murder

A 51-year-old Brockton man who stabbed and killed a 21-year-old man on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation was sentenced to more than 17 years in federal prison, Friday, Sept. 12.
Great Falls United States District Court Judge Brian Morris sentenced David Lewis, 51, to 210 months in prison, followed by a term of five years supervised release.
Lewis previously pleaded guilty to second degree murder. In an offer of proof filed by the government, the government stated that if the case had proceeded to trial, it would have proven that Lewis stabbed the victim approximately 19 times in the back and arm following an alleged argument between them at Lewis’ house in Brockton.
The case came to law enforcement’s attention after the victim was reported missing by his family in January. During the search for the victim, Lewis pretended as if he did not know where the victim was and even pretended to help search for him. Upon further inquiry from law enforcement, Lewis eventually confessed that he had stabbed and killed the victim, and that the victim’s body was still in his home.
Because there is no parole in the federal system, Lewis will have to serve at least 85 percent of his sentence before he is released from prison.
Fort Peck Tribes Department of Law and Justice criminal investigators and the Federal Bureau of Investigation investigated the case.

Williston Man Gets Deferred Imposition Of Sentence For Bainville Burglary, Truck Theft

A Williston, N.D., man was given a three-year deferred imposition of sentence and a $500 fine on a felony charge of burglary in 15th District Court, Wednesday, Sept. 10.
Clinton Jay Carnes, 30, could have received a maximum sentence of 20 years incarceration and a maximum fine of $50,000.
According to the charging documents, Carnes entered a residence in a rural area near
Bainville and stole a pickup from the property. The incident occurred during the late night hours of July 19 and early hours of July 20, 2013.
The charging documents also accuse Carnes of calling 911 and saying that a pickup was parked at an oil well site south of Bainville.
A Roosevelt County Sheriff’s Office sergeant located the truck. A .22 caliber pistol was recovered from the truck that the owner of the pickup said was not his.
Carnes later admitted
owning the pistol and claimed it had been stolen from him.
Probation and parole officer Darrin Moser, who works in Sidney, completed the pre-sentence investigation and report, and recommended a three-year deferred sentence, less time than the five-year deferred sentence a plea agreement recommended. Moser said Carnes had been cooperative with him.
Assistant county attorney Jordan Knudsen expressed concern that Carnes had been carrying a firearm at the time of the offense. He also requested that there be no contact with the victim ordered.
“The victim and his wife still feel traumatized,” Moser said and added that the victims, who are in their 80s, still wake up at night fearing that their home is being broken into.
“When I look at things, what disturbs me is what you did and you had the pistol with you,” Judge David Cybulski said. “I have to look at the circumstances and the circumstances add up to pure stupidity.”
He then said he would accept Moser’s recommendation for a lighter sentence than the plea agreement called for.
Carnes has been free on bail.